What is involved in Category Management
Find out what the related areas are that Category Management connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a Category Management thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its Category Management journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward Category Management leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which Category Management related domains to cover and 55 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
Category Management, Cash and carry, Competition Commission, Fast-moving consumer goods, Groceries Code Adjudicator, Maintenance, repair, and operations, Manufacturing resource planning, Market distortion, Point of sale, Price fixing, Private label, Retail Link, Shopper marketing, Supplier Relationship Management, Tesco plc:
Category Management Critical Criteria:
Tête-à-tête about Category Management quality and observe effective Category Management.
– When we establish a view of the suppliers preferences regarding us a customer / potential customer. Would we be seen as a desirable customer and therefore be in a more powerful position?
– From your observations, what have been some consequences (performance, confidence in ECR, competitive position) for companies that give insufficient emphasis to Category Management?
– Talk to Sales and Marketing – what are customer needs, what are consumer needs and what are the roadblocks?
– Who would you consider best practice in any or all of the instore sales drivers?
– Do you provide your Clients with a clear escalation path for issue resolution?
– Do your meetings generally focus more on head lights, tail lights or both?
– Which Clients are the highest maintenance -How do they support you?
– What primary strategy do you recommend for a newly presented SKU?
– What are the key promotion and shelf presentation tactics?
– What is your take on how Category Management is evolving?
– What are the Seasonal Lift patterns for this item?
– What records do I need to keep and for how long?
– Are innovative solutions under development?
– What is different to our current position?
– Who should I contact if I have questions?
– What is the whole life cost per unit?
– Who are your most profitable Clients?
– What consumer need is satisfied?
– What do users of services need?
– What is a category?
Cash and carry Critical Criteria:
Mine Cash and carry adoptions and diversify by understanding risks and leveraging Cash and carry.
– What prevents me from making the changes I know will make me a more effective Category Management leader?
– What role does communication play in the success or failure of a Category Management project?
– Does Category Management appropriately measure and monitor risk?
Competition Commission Critical Criteria:
Set goals for Competition Commission adoptions and gather Competition Commission models .
– Is Category Management Realistic, or are you setting yourself up for failure?
– Which individuals, teams or departments will be involved in Category Management?
– How to Secure Category Management?
Fast-moving consumer goods Critical Criteria:
Adapt Fast-moving consumer goods leadership and give examples utilizing a core of simple Fast-moving consumer goods skills.
– Record-keeping requirements flow from the records needed as inputs, outputs, controls and for transformation of a Category Management process. ask yourself: are the records needed as inputs to the Category Management process available?
– How do we ensure that implementations of Category Management products are done in a way that ensures safety?
– Who needs to know about Category Management ?
Groceries Code Adjudicator Critical Criteria:
Air ideas re Groceries Code Adjudicator outcomes and plan concise Groceries Code Adjudicator education.
– Marketing budgets are tighter, consumers are more skeptical, and social media has changed forever the way we talk about Category Management. How do we gain traction?
– Do we aggressively reward and promote the people who have the biggest impact on creating excellent Category Management services/products?
– Will new equipment/products be required to facilitate Category Management delivery for example is new software needed?
Maintenance, repair, and operations Critical Criteria:
Unify Maintenance, repair, and operations results and diversify by understanding risks and leveraging Maintenance, repair, and operations.
– Who is the main stakeholder, with ultimate responsibility for driving Category Management forward?
– How does the organization define, manage, and improve its Category Management processes?
– Have you identified your Category Management key performance indicators?
Manufacturing resource planning Critical Criteria:
Accommodate Manufacturing resource planning projects and research ways can we become the Manufacturing resource planning company that would put us out of business.
– For your Category Management project, identify and describe the business environment. is there more than one layer to the business environment?
– Do several people in different organizational units assist with the Category Management process?
Market distortion Critical Criteria:
Sort Market distortion strategies and point out Market distortion tensions in leadership.
– Will Category Management have an impact on current business continuity, disaster recovery processes and/or infrastructure?
– Do you monitor the effectiveness of your Category Management activities?
– What is the purpose of Category Management in relation to the mission?
Point of sale Critical Criteria:
Confer re Point of sale engagements and look at it backwards.
– How important is Category Management to the user organizations mission?
– How can skill-level changes improve Category Management?
Price fixing Critical Criteria:
Guard Price fixing projects and maintain Price fixing for success.
– Do those selected for the Category Management team have a good general understanding of what Category Management is all about?
– Who will provide the final approval of Category Management deliverables?
Private label Critical Criteria:
Transcribe Private label goals and question.
– Who will be responsible for making the decisions to include or exclude requested changes once Category Management is underway?
– What are the top 3 things at the forefront of our Category Management agendas for the next 3 years?
Retail Link Critical Criteria:
Chart Retail Link adoptions and budget the knowledge transfer for any interested in Retail Link.
– In a project to restructure Category Management outcomes, which stakeholders would you involve?
– How do we manage Category Management Knowledge Management (KM)?
Shopper marketing Critical Criteria:
Depict Shopper marketing planning and finalize the present value of growth of Shopper marketing.
– What instore sales drivers do you need to focus on in order to take advantage of the evolution to shopper marketing?
– Are assumptions made in Category Management stated explicitly?
– How can you measure Category Management in a systematic way?
Supplier Relationship Management Critical Criteria:
Discourse Supplier Relationship Management tasks and prioritize challenges of Supplier Relationship Management.
– In what ways are Category Management vendors and us interacting to ensure safe and effective use?
– What is our Category Management Strategy?
Tesco plc Critical Criteria:
Trace Tesco plc decisions and find the essential reading for Tesco plc researchers.
– What tools do you use once you have decided on a Category Management strategy and more importantly how do you choose?
– Is there a Category Management Communication plan covering who needs to get what information when?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the Category Management Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | http://theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
Category Management External links:
Category Management – AbeBooks
Category Management – GSA
Cash and carry External links:
Food Service – Cash&Carry – Cash and Carry
Cash and carry. (Book, 1992) [WorldCat.org]
Cash and Carry (1937) – IMDb
Competition Commission External links:
Competition Commission of Singapore
The Competition Commission South Africa – Home | Facebook
Fast-moving consumer goods External links:
Fast-Moving Consumer Goods Services | Liquidity Services
Groceries Code Adjudicator External links:
Groceries Code Adjudicator – GOV.UK
Groceries Code Adjudicator: Latest News & Videos, …
Maintenance, repair, and operations External links:
Maintenance, Repair, and Operations | MRO Solutions | SDI
Manufacturing resource planning External links:
[PPT]9-Manufacturing Resource Planning
SOM 464. Manufacturing Resource Planning (3)
Market distortion External links:
Market Distortion Flashcards | Quizlet
Market Distortion Definition | Investopedia
Market Distortion » Partnership for Open and Fair Skies
Point of sale External links:
Point of Sale Software & Solutions | NCR Counterpoint
POS System – Point of Sale for iPad and iPhone | SalesVu
ParTech – POS Systems | Restaurant Point of Sale Solutions
Price fixing External links:
Price Fixing – girardgibbs.com
Private label External links:
Vitalabs – Private Label Vitamins & Supplements
Retail Link External links:
Terms and Conditions – Welcome to Retail Link!
[PDF]Retail Link Access Request Form – walmartethics.com
[PDF]Retail Link Access Request Form – walmartethics.com
Shopper marketing External links:
Shopper Marketing – Location Marketing | inMarket
ShopHer Media | Digital Shopper Marketing Platform
Supplier Relationship Management External links:
Supplier relationship management
http://Supplier relationship management (SRM) is the discipline of strategically planning for, and managing, all interactions with third party organizations that supply goods and/or services to an organization in order to maximize the value of those interactions.
Supplier Relationship Management Portal – Agile1
PowerAdvocate | Supplier Relationship Management
Tesco plc External links:
Tesco PLC. – The New York Times
TSCDY Stock Quote – Tesco PLC ADR (Sponsored) Price – …
TSCDY: Tesco PLC – Brokerage Reports – Zacks.com