What is involved in Master data
Find out what the related areas are that Master data connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a Master data thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its Master Data Management MDM journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward Master Data Management MDM leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which Master data related domains to cover and 79 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
Master data, Customer data integration, Data governance, Dynamic data, Hierarchical database model, Information Technology, Master Data Management, Master Tape, Metadata, Original data, Product information management, Unstructured data:
Master data Critical Criteria:
Prioritize Master data outcomes and finalize the present value of growth of Master data.
– What are your results for key measures or indicators of the accomplishment of your Master data strategy and action plans, including building and strengthening core competencies?
– What are the top 3 things at the forefront of our Master data agendas for the next 3 years?
– What are some of the master data management architecture patterns?
– Why should we use or invest in a Master Data Management product?
– How do most enterprises manage hierarchical master data today?
– What is hierarchical master data?
– What Is Master Data Management?
– How to deal with Master data Changes?
– What is Master Data?
Customer data integration Critical Criteria:
Disseminate Customer data integration goals and interpret which customers can’t participate in Customer data integration because they lack skills.
– How can you negotiate Master data successfully with a stubborn boss, an irate client, or a deceitful coworker?
– What are the business goals Master data is aiming to achieve?
– Is a Master data Team Work effort in place?
Data governance Critical Criteria:
Design Data governance visions and slay a dragon.
– How do you know that individuals carrying out work on behalf of your organization comply with your organizations information/data governance standards?
– For other types of programs, decision rights may require more negotiation. for example, who should decide the length of a data field in a new system?
– Have mechanisms been put in place to de-identify data whenever possible(e.g.,by removing all direct and indirect identifiers)?
– How will decisions regarding these key enterprise data processes be made and monitored?
– How do new opportunities come to the data governance council s attention?
– The difference between data/information and information technology (it)?
– What can be accomplished by implementing data governance?
– Can this be shared in or outside of our organization?
– Can the ceo explain the roi for search and metadata?
– Is there a process in place to examine query logs?
– How do I sell management on a taxonomy project?
– what is driving data governance adoption?
– Why is lack of data governance urgent?
– Have data rules been documented?
– Is the information identifiable?
– How does data governance work?
– Who should do what, and when?
– How do they help search?
– Should it be encrypted?
Dynamic data Critical Criteria:
Transcribe Dynamic data planning and customize techniques for implementing Dynamic data controls.
– Does Master data include applications and information with regulatory compliance significance (or other contractual conditions that must be formally complied with) in a new or unique manner for which no approved security requirements, templates or design models exist?
– What management system can we use to leverage the Master data experience, ideas, and concerns of the people closest to the work to be done?
– What are the success criteria that will indicate that Master data objectives have been met and the benefits delivered?
Hierarchical database model Critical Criteria:
Illustrate Hierarchical database model risks and report on setting up Hierarchical database model without losing ground.
– What are the record-keeping requirements of Master data activities?
– Are accountability and ownership for Master data clearly defined?
Information Technology Critical Criteria:
Guard Information Technology quality and find out what it really means.
– Does your company have defined information technology risk performance metrics that are monitored and reported to management on a regular basis?
– Do the response plans address damage assessment, site restoration, payroll, Human Resources, information technology, and administrative support?
– If a survey was done with asking organizations; Is there a line between your information technology department and your information security department?
– What tools do you use once you have decided on a Master data strategy and more importantly how do you choose?
– How does new information technology come to be applied and diffused among firms?
– When do you ask for help from Information Technology (IT)?
– How do we go about Comparing Master data approaches/solutions?
– What are the long-term Master data goals?
Master Data Management Critical Criteria:
Examine Master Data Management outcomes and point out improvements in Master Data Management.
– Think about the functions involved in your Master data project. what processes flow from these functions?
– What are the short and long-term Master data goals?
Master Tape Critical Criteria:
Design Master Tape failures and work towards be a leading Master Tape expert.
– Does the Master data task fit the clients priorities?
– Does Master data appropriately measure and monitor risk?
Metadata Critical Criteria:
Air ideas re Metadata projects and mentor Metadata customer orientation.
– In addition to the security of your own customer data, customers should also be concerned about what data the provider collects and how the CSP protects that data. Specifically with regard to your customer data, what metadata does the provider have about your data, how is it secured, and what access do you, the customer, have to that metadata?
– Who will do the classification (IAs, users, both etc.) Deliverables could be: approach for developing classification, controlled vocabularies, thesaurus, taxonomies, classification models including targeted audience descriptions; will there be any use of autocategorization or autosuggesting metadata?
– Is there an organization-wide metadata standard, such as an extension of the dublin core, for use by search tools, multiple repositories, etc.?
– How do you incorporate cycle time, productivity, cost control, and other efficiency and effectiveness factors into these Master data processes?
– Is it necessary only to make the metadata discoverable, with links to the data files, or is deeper support for manipulating the data needed?
– do not forget to look at the data itself. how can you affect the amount of, quality of, or protection of data and metadata?
– Are there hiring and training practices especially for metadata and taxonomy positions?
– What data does the provider collect -e.g., metadata, and how can this data be secured?
– What details (metadata) are necessary for others to use your data?
– How to use faceted metadata to expand (as opposed to refine)?
– Who is responsible for creating the metadata?
– Have any metadata methods been identified?
– Metadata; is there a metadata strategy?
– Is the metadata cache size acceptable?
– Is there a metadata strategy?
– Can metadata be loaded?
Original data Critical Criteria:
Set goals for Original data failures and give examples utilizing a core of simple Original data skills.
– What are your key performance measures or indicators and in-process measures for the control and improvement of your Master data processes?
– Does the original data collector/ creator/ principal owner retain the right to use the data before opening it up to wider use?
– Is data that is transcribed or copied checked for errors against the original data set?
– How do we make it meaningful in connecting Master data with what users do day-to-day?
– What is our Master data Strategy?
Product information management Critical Criteria:
Mine Product information management leadership and explain and analyze the challenges of Product information management.
– Do several people in different organizational units assist with the Master data process?
– What are the barriers to increased Master data production?
– How can we improve Master data?
Unstructured data Critical Criteria:
Analyze Unstructured data decisions and diversify by understanding risks and leveraging Unstructured data.
– For your Master data project, identify and describe the business environment. is there more than one layer to the business environment?
– What tools do you consider particularly important to handle unstructured data expressed in (a) natural language(s)?
– Does your organization have the right tools to handle unstructured data expressed in (a) natural language(s)?
– How is the value delivered by Master data being measured?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the Master Data Management MDM Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | http://theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
Master data External links:
Best Master Data Management (MDM) Software in 2018 | G2 …
Master Data Services Overview (MDS) | Microsoft Docs
SAP MM – Master Data – tutorialspoint.com
Customer data integration External links:
Customer Data Integration and Master Data Management
Customer Data Integration | CDI | MuleSoft
Customer Data Integration – Just another Tamr Inc. Sites site
Data governance External links:
Data Governance – Do Job Titles Matter? – DATAVERSITY
Data Governance Jobs | Glassdoor
Dataguise | Sensitive Data Governance
Dynamic data External links:
Fathom: Dynamic Data Software
Hierarchical database model External links:
Hierarchical database model – YouTube
The Hierarchical Database Model – Burleson Oracle Consulting
Information Technology External links:
SOLAR | Division of Information Technology
Umail | University Information Technology Services
Information Technology (IT) Industry & Association | CompTIA
Master Data Management External links:
Best Master Data Management (MDM) Software in 2018 | G2 …
Master Data Management | IBM Analytics
09 | April | 2011 | Master Data Management (MDM)
Master Tape External links:
Find a Various – The Master Tape first pressing or reissue. Complete your Various collection. Shop Vinyl and CDs.
Tape Plugin | Kramer Master Tape | Waves
Various – The Master Tape (Vinyl, LP) at Discogs
Metadata External links:
Title Metadata Guide – IngramSpark
Title metadata – WiiBrew
3 key tips to adding in your site’s metadata | Yola
Original data External links:
The Original Data Company | Consumer Lists, Data …
About | The Original Data Company
Product information management External links:
inRiver – Product Information Management
Product Information Management (PIM) for Ecommerce
Qliktag Product Information Management & IOT Software
Unstructured data External links:
Scale-Out NAS for Unstructured Data | Dell EMC US