What is involved in Geographic information system
Find out what the related areas are that Geographic information system connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a Geographic information system thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its Geographic information system journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward Geographic information system leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which Geographic information system related domains to cover and 119 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
Geographic information system, Time geography, Public utility, Web Map Service, GIS and public health, Water power, Urban geography, Esri Education User Conference, Map algebra, Laser rangefinder, Spatial intelligence, Population geography, Economic geography, Real estate, Outline of geography, Sustainable development, E. W. Gilbert, Environmental geography, Distributed GIS, NASA DEVELOP National Program, Quaternary science, GIS Day, Natural Resources Canada, Perspective view, Thiessen polygons, Current Science, Computer hardware, Regional geography, Coastal geography, U.S. Census, Index of geography articles, Web mapping, Aeryon Scout, Catchment area, Development geography, Comparison of GIS software, Free and open-source software, Topographic map, Cartographic relief depiction, Renewable energy, Web Feature Service, Location-based service, Spatial thinking, Point of sale, World Wide Web, At-location mapping, Public participation GIS, SAGA GIS, Spatial decision support system, GIS file formats, Microsoft Windows:
Geographic information system Critical Criteria:
Focus on Geographic information system risks and oversee implementation of Geographic information system.
– What is the total cost related to deploying Geographic information system, including any consulting or professional services?
– How will we insure seamless interoperability of Geographic information system moving forward?
Time geography Critical Criteria:
Probe Time geography strategies and don’t overlook the obvious.
– How do we measure improved Geographic information system service perception, and satisfaction?
– Are accountability and ownership for Geographic information system clearly defined?
– Is Supporting Geographic information system documentation required?
Public utility Critical Criteria:
Match Public utility tasks and probe the present value of growth of Public utility.
– Are there any disadvantages to implementing Geographic information system? There might be some that are less obvious?
– How do we go about Comparing Geographic information system approaches/solutions?
Web Map Service Critical Criteria:
Sort Web Map Service failures and perfect Web Map Service conflict management.
– What potential environmental factors impact the Geographic information system effort?
– Do Geographic information system rules make a reasonable demand on a users capabilities?
– How do we manage Geographic information system Knowledge Management (KM)?
GIS and public health Critical Criteria:
Shape GIS and public health failures and catalog what business benefits will GIS and public health goals deliver if achieved.
– Think about the functions involved in your Geographic information system project. what processes flow from these functions?
– Is Geographic information system Realistic, or are you setting yourself up for failure?
– How much does Geographic information system help?
Water power Critical Criteria:
Rank Water power governance and budget the knowledge transfer for any interested in Water power.
– What are the top 3 things at the forefront of our Geographic information system agendas for the next 3 years?
– To what extent does management recognize Geographic information system as a tool to increase the results?
– How important is Geographic information system to the user organizations mission?
Urban geography Critical Criteria:
Categorize Urban geography management and give examples utilizing a core of simple Urban geography skills.
– Does Geographic information system include applications and information with regulatory compliance significance (or other contractual conditions that must be formally complied with) in a new or unique manner for which no approved security requirements, templates or design models exist?
– How can you negotiate Geographic information system successfully with a stubborn boss, an irate client, or a deceitful coworker?
Esri Education User Conference Critical Criteria:
Explore Esri Education User Conference results and find the essential reading for Esri Education User Conference researchers.
– Do several people in different organizational units assist with the Geographic information system process?
– Have all basic functions of Geographic information system been defined?
Map algebra Critical Criteria:
Examine Map algebra strategies and drive action.
– Are we making progress? and are we making progress as Geographic information system leaders?
– Is Geographic information system Required?
Laser rangefinder Critical Criteria:
Audit Laser rangefinder leadership and report on the economics of relationships managing Laser rangefinder and constraints.
– What will be the consequences to the business (financial, reputation etc) if Geographic information system does not go ahead or fails to deliver the objectives?
– What are specific Geographic information system Rules to follow?
Spatial intelligence Critical Criteria:
Understand Spatial intelligence projects and probe using an integrated framework to make sure Spatial intelligence is getting what it needs.
– What knowledge, skills and characteristics mark a good Geographic information system project manager?
– What are the Essentials of Internal Geographic information system Management?
Population geography Critical Criteria:
Huddle over Population geography tactics and oversee Population geography management by competencies.
– How do we Identify specific Geographic information system investment and emerging trends?
– How do we go about Securing Geographic information system?
– Why are Geographic information system skills important?
Economic geography Critical Criteria:
Have a session on Economic geography planning and point out Economic geography tensions in leadership.
– What other organizational variables, such as reward systems or communication systems, affect the performance of this Geographic information system process?
– What tools do you use once you have decided on a Geographic information system strategy and more importantly how do you choose?
– Are assumptions made in Geographic information system stated explicitly?
Real estate Critical Criteria:
Think about Real estate quality and integrate design thinking in Real estate innovation.
– Consider your own Geographic information system project. what types of organizational problems do you think might be causing or affecting your problem, based on the work done so far?
– How can you measure Geographic information system in a systematic way?
– Are there Geographic information system Models?
Outline of geography Critical Criteria:
Accelerate Outline of geography results and don’t overlook the obvious.
– Who will be responsible for making the decisions to include or exclude requested changes once Geographic information system is underway?
Sustainable development Critical Criteria:
Adapt Sustainable development engagements and budget the knowledge transfer for any interested in Sustainable development.
– How do we ensure that implementations of Geographic information system products are done in a way that ensures safety?
– What are the barriers to increased Geographic information system production?
– What are current Geographic information system Paradigms?
E. W. Gilbert Critical Criteria:
Consolidate E. W. Gilbert outcomes and research ways can we become the E. W. Gilbert company that would put us out of business.
– How will you know that the Geographic information system project has been successful?
– How to Secure Geographic information system?
Environmental geography Critical Criteria:
Shape Environmental geography planning and point out improvements in Environmental geography.
– Do we cover the five essential competencies-Communication, Collaboration,Innovation, Adaptability, and Leadership that improve an organizations ability to leverage the new Geographic information system in a volatile global economy?
– Which Geographic information system goals are the most important?
– What are our Geographic information system Processes?
Distributed GIS Critical Criteria:
Ventilate your thoughts about Distributed GIS decisions and find out what it really means.
– what is the best design framework for Geographic information system organization now that, in a post industrial-age if the top-down, command and control model is no longer relevant?
– Are there any easy-to-implement alternatives to Geographic information system? Sometimes other solutions are available that do not require the cost implications of a full-blown project?
– How do you incorporate cycle time, productivity, cost control, and other efficiency and effectiveness factors into these Geographic information system processes?
NASA DEVELOP National Program Critical Criteria:
Cut a stake in NASA DEVELOP National Program tactics and question.
– At what point will vulnerability assessments be performed once Geographic information system is put into production (e.g., ongoing Risk Management after implementation)?
– Why is Geographic information system important for you now?
– What threat is Geographic information system addressing?
Quaternary science Critical Criteria:
Debate over Quaternary science decisions and achieve a single Quaternary science view and bringing data together.
– How do mission and objectives affect the Geographic information system processes of our organization?
– What are the Key enablers to make this Geographic information system move?
GIS Day Critical Criteria:
Devise GIS Day visions and find the ideas you already have.
Natural Resources Canada Critical Criteria:
Scan Natural Resources Canada governance and remodel and develop an effective Natural Resources Canada strategy.
– What are our best practices for minimizing Geographic information system project risk, while demonstrating incremental value and quick wins throughout the Geographic information system project lifecycle?
– How do we know that any Geographic information system analysis is complete and comprehensive?
– Are we Assessing Geographic information system and Risk?
Perspective view Critical Criteria:
Experiment with Perspective view engagements and create Perspective view explanations for all managers.
– How do senior leaders actions reflect a commitment to the organizations Geographic information system values?
– Who is the main stakeholder, with ultimate responsibility for driving Geographic information system forward?
– How is the value delivered by Geographic information system being measured?
Thiessen polygons Critical Criteria:
Check Thiessen polygons quality and explore and align the progress in Thiessen polygons.
– How can the value of Geographic information system be defined?
Current Science Critical Criteria:
Learn from Current Science visions and figure out ways to motivate other Current Science users.
– What new services of functionality will be implemented next with Geographic information system ?
Computer hardware Critical Criteria:
Scan Computer hardware engagements and diversify by understanding risks and leveraging Computer hardware.
– What are the success criteria that will indicate that Geographic information system objectives have been met and the benefits delivered?
– Which individuals, teams or departments will be involved in Geographic information system?
– What vendors make products that address the Geographic information system needs?
Regional geography Critical Criteria:
Value Regional geography risks and stake your claim.
– Do the Geographic information system decisions we make today help people and the planet tomorrow?
– What is our Geographic information system Strategy?
Coastal geography Critical Criteria:
Tête-à-tête about Coastal geography planning and look in other fields.
– Do we monitor the Geographic information system decisions made and fine tune them as they evolve?
– Is the Geographic information system organization completing tasks effectively and efficiently?
– What will drive Geographic information system change?
U.S. Census Critical Criteria:
Administer U.S. Census management and arbitrate U.S. Census techniques that enhance teamwork and productivity.
– What are your results for key measures or indicators of the accomplishment of your Geographic information system strategy and action plans, including building and strengthening core competencies?
Index of geography articles Critical Criteria:
Chat re Index of geography articles adoptions and look for lots of ideas.
– Is Geographic information system dependent on the successful delivery of a current project?
Web mapping Critical Criteria:
Facilitate Web mapping results and gather practices for scaling Web mapping.
Aeryon Scout Critical Criteria:
Study Aeryon Scout failures and observe effective Aeryon Scout.
– A compounding model resolution with available relevant data can often provide insight towards a solution methodology; which Geographic information system models, tools and techniques are necessary?
– What are internal and external Geographic information system relations?
– What about Geographic information system Analysis of results?
Catchment area Critical Criteria:
Frame Catchment area tactics and innovate what needs to be done with Catchment area.
– Will new equipment/products be required to facilitate Geographic information system delivery for example is new software needed?
Development geography Critical Criteria:
Audit Development geography engagements and probe the present value of growth of Development geography.
– How do you determine the key elements that affect Geographic information system workforce satisfaction? how are these elements determined for different workforce groups and segments?
Comparison of GIS software Critical Criteria:
Troubleshoot Comparison of GIS software planning and learn.
– Why is it important to have senior management support for a Geographic information system project?
– Do you monitor the effectiveness of your Geographic information system activities?
Free and open-source software Critical Criteria:
Consolidate Free and open-source software projects and be persistent.
– Who will be responsible for deciding whether Geographic information system goes ahead or not after the initial investigations?
– What is our formula for success in Geographic information system ?
Topographic map Critical Criteria:
Depict Topographic map engagements and frame using storytelling to create more compelling Topographic map projects.
– Can we add value to the current Geographic information system decision-making process (largely qualitative) by incorporating uncertainty modeling (more quantitative)?
– Will Geographic information system deliverables need to be tested and, if so, by whom?
Cartographic relief depiction Critical Criteria:
Devise Cartographic relief depiction outcomes and track iterative Cartographic relief depiction results.
– What are the business goals Geographic information system is aiming to achieve?
– Does Geographic information system appropriately measure and monitor risk?
Renewable energy Critical Criteria:
Meet over Renewable energy goals and devote time assessing Renewable energy and its risk.
– How do we make it meaningful in connecting Geographic information system with what users do day-to-day?
– Is there any existing Geographic information system governance structure?
Web Feature Service Critical Criteria:
Explore Web Feature Service visions and reinforce and communicate particularly sensitive Web Feature Service decisions.
– What sources do you use to gather information for a Geographic information system study?
Location-based service Critical Criteria:
X-ray Location-based service engagements and get out your magnifying glass.
– When a Geographic information system manager recognizes a problem, what options are available?
Spatial thinking Critical Criteria:
Incorporate Spatial thinking governance and test out new things.
– For your Geographic information system project, identify and describe the business environment. is there more than one layer to the business environment?
– How do we Improve Geographic information system service perception, and satisfaction?
Point of sale Critical Criteria:
Scrutinze Point of sale quality and revise understanding of Point of sale architectures.
– What management system can we use to leverage the Geographic information system experience, ideas, and concerns of the people closest to the work to be done?
– How can skill-level changes improve Geographic information system?
World Wide Web Critical Criteria:
Detail World Wide Web adoptions and point out World Wide Web tensions in leadership.
– What business benefits will Geographic information system goals deliver if achieved?
At-location mapping Critical Criteria:
Give examples of At-location mapping engagements and reduce At-location mapping costs.
– Which customers cant participate in our Geographic information system domain because they lack skills, wealth, or convenient access to existing solutions?
– What may be the consequences for the performance of an organization if all stakeholders are not consulted regarding Geographic information system?
Public participation GIS Critical Criteria:
Incorporate Public participation GIS management and interpret which customers can’t participate in Public participation GIS because they lack skills.
– What are your most important goals for the strategic Geographic information system objectives?
– Have you identified your Geographic information system key performance indicators?
SAGA GIS Critical Criteria:
Scrutinze SAGA GIS planning and probe the present value of growth of SAGA GIS.
– Will Geographic information system have an impact on current business continuity, disaster recovery processes and/or infrastructure?
– Are there Geographic information system problems defined?
Spatial decision support system Critical Criteria:
Read up on Spatial decision support system visions and correct Spatial decision support system management by competencies.
– How can we incorporate support to ensure safe and effective use of Geographic information system into the services that we provide?
GIS file formats Critical Criteria:
Distinguish GIS file formats risks and report on setting up GIS file formats without losing ground.
Microsoft Windows Critical Criteria:
Contribute to Microsoft Windows quality and correct better engagement with Microsoft Windows results.
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the Geographic information system Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | http://theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
Geographic information system External links:
Geographic Information System (GIS) | City of …
City of Rochester | Geographic Information System (GIS) Maps
COT – Geographic Information System (GIS)
Time geography External links:
Temporary, part-time Geography Instructors
Part-Time Geography Instructor
Part-Time Geography Instructor – Southwestern College
Public utility External links:
[PDF]TITLE PART PUBLIC UTILITY COMMISSION OF TEXAS
Web Map Service External links:
National Digital Forecast Database Web Map Service
FEMA DFIRM Web Map Service – Data.gov
Web Map Service (WMS) – Welcome to the OGC | OGC
GIS and public health External links:
GIS AND PUBLIC HEALTH – lnenad.de
[PDF]GIS and Public Health – 筑波大学
GIS and public health (Book, 2012) [WorldCat.org]
Urban geography External links:
Awards | Urban Geography Specialty Group
Urban Geography | Kent State University
Home | Urban Geography Specialty Group
Esri Education User Conference External links:
ESRI Education User Conference (EdUC) | Balluun Directory
[PDF]Esri Education User Conference, 2017
Esri Education User Conference
Map algebra External links:
Desktop Help 10.0 – An overview of the Map Algebra Operators
[PDF]Map Algebra – Natural Resource Ecology and …
Spatial intelligence External links:
[PPT]SPATIAL INTELLIGENCE – catherineshafer.com
[DOC]Spatial intelligence and geography – SIUE
Spatial Intelligence – TrueSmarts.com Tag
Population geography External links:
HumanGeography – Population Geography
Economic geography External links:
Economic Geography India – AbeBooks
Economic geography, (Book, 1915) [WorldCat.org]
Economic Geography on JSTOR
Real estate External links:
Title(s) – best way to hold real estate
http://arctic.org/~dean/sircam/Title(s) – best way to hold real estate.html
Abstract of Title in Real Estate – The Balance
Outline of geography External links:
An outline of geography, (Book, 1935) [WorldCat.org]
An outline of geography, (Book, 1943) [WorldCat.org]
Outline of Geography | Geomatics | Earth Sciences
Sustainable development External links:
Cargill and the U.N. Sustainable Development Goals
What does sustainable development – answers.com
WHO | Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)
Environmental geography External links:
What is environmental geography – Answers.com
Environmental geography – encyclopedia article – …
Distributed GIS External links:
Distributed GIS – Revolvy
NASA DEVELOP National Program External links:
NASA DEVELOP National Program | Environmental & …
NASA DEVELOP National Program – YouTube
NASA DEVELOP National Program – Posts | Facebook
Quaternary science External links:
[PDF]Quaternary Science Reviews – University at Buffalo
[PDF]QUATERNARY SCIENCE REVIEWS – Geophysical …
[PDF]Quaternary Science Reviews – Department of …
GIS Day External links:
GIS: GIS Day – IN.gov
Texas A&M GIS Day 2017
WNYGIS – GIS Day
Natural Resources Canada External links:
Toporama | Natural Resources Canada
Statistical data | Forests | Natural Resources Canada
Flickr: Natural Resources Canada’s Photostream
Perspective view External links:
What is Perspective View? – Computer Hope
[PDF]EMBRACING A MULTI-PERSPECTIVE VIEW OF …
Space Images | Occator Perspective View
Thiessen polygons External links:
How To: Create Thiessen polygons for line features in ArcMap
ArcGIS Help 10.1 – Create Thiessen Polygons (Analysis)
Current Science External links:
Current Science Flashcards | Quizlet
Scholastic SuperScience | The Current Science Magazine …
CBD for epilepsy? The current science behind using CBD …
Computer hardware External links:
Computer Hardware Inc – Official Site
Computer Hardware, Software, Technology Solutions | Insight
[H]ardOCP Computer Hardware Reviews and News
Regional geography External links:
Regional Geography Africa – AbeBooks
[PDF]Regional Geography – EOLSS
World regional geography (Book, 2009) [WorldCat.org]
Coastal geography External links:
A coastal geography quiz – Coasts
coastal geography Flashcards | Quizlet
Marine & Coastal Geography – Texas A&M University
U.S. Census External links:
Census Records – Search U.S. Census (Index & Images)
1940 U.S. Census Release | Federal Census Data
Mapping the 2010 U.S. Census – NYTimes.com
Index of geography articles External links:
Index of geography articles – Revolvy
https://update.revolvy.com/topic/Index of geography articles
Index of geography articles – revolvy.com
https://www.revolvy.com/topic/Index of geography articles
Web mapping External links:
nowCOAST™: NOAA’s Web Mapping Portal to Real-Time …
Web Mapping | Cumberland County, PA – Official Website
Interactive Web Mapping Applications – Wisconsin DNR
Aeryon Scout External links:
Aeryon Scout UAV in use with the Libyan Rebels – YouTube
Aeryon Scout – Aeryon Labs Inc.
TECTERRA – Aeryon Scout – YouTube
Catchment area External links:
Catchment Area | Rainwater Harvesting
Epidemiologic Catchment Area Study, 1980-1985: …
DMHAS: Catchment Area Councils – Connecticut
Development geography External links:
Arrested Development Geography Quiz – Sporcle
Topographic map External links:
Topographic map | Define Topographic map at …
Connecticut Topographic Map Collection @ MAGIC
Topographic Map | Definition of Topographic Map by …
Renewable energy External links:
Star Energy Partners | Renewable Energy Provider
Web Feature Service External links:
Web Feature Service (WFS) Test Page
Web Feature Service | OGC
Location-based service External links:
Location-Based Services: Definition & Examples
Spatial thinking External links:
what is the characteristics of spatial thinking – Brainly.com
The Nature of Spatial Thinking – The National Academies …
4 Teaching and Learning About Spatial Thinking | …
Point of sale External links:
Free POS Software. Point of Sale System | Loyverse POS
Paladin Point of Sale Homepage – Paladin Point of Sale
Toast | Restaurant Point of Sale & Management System
World Wide Web External links:
IIS World Wide Web Publishing Service (W3SVC)
Public participation GIS External links:
Lean Public Participation GIS by Michal Czepkiewicz on Prezi
Public Participation GIS (PPGIS)
SAGA GIS External links:
SAGA GIS / Forums / Discussion – SourceForge
SAGA GIS Quickstart — OSGeo-Live 11.0 Documentation
10 SAGA GIS Software Terrain Analysis – YouTube
Spatial decision support system External links:
What is Spatial Decision Support System | IGI Global
Spatial Decision Support System (SDSS)
GIS file formats External links:
GIS File Formats ~ GIS Lounge
GIS file formats : askgis – reddit
GIS File formats – USGS OEI/Enterprise GIS – myUSGS …
Microsoft Windows External links:
Apps | Microsoft Windows 10 | Official Site